Jan 6, 2013

Shabby 2 No End!

UPDATED: 6-25-14
Even cuter, if that is possible for this little table!!

Wow! This little table has morphed into an adorable little shabby piece of love!
Honestly, I hadn't really liked extreme distressing, but after having this little piece around for a couple of months now - I'm LOVING it!
I think I will do one of my end tables the same, but using some homemade DIY chalk paint!

Goes to show that mixing it up a bit is WONDERFUL!


I picked it up at Goodwill!- ugly, old fashioned, but I needed furniture.

I lightly sanded it to remove the shiny finish.
Sprayed primered.
THIS IS WHERE IT GETS CRAZY!
Over the next week, I sanded, primered, re-primered, painted, stenciled, re-painted this little table
THREE times!  Yup, I just wasn't "Feelin" it.
Then . . . 
WHAM!!
I was inspired!
While loading a load of laundy, I glanced over and on my shelf were a bunch of hooksI had.
Inspiration!
This is my first time doing this method, so I was nervous and excited!

I've seen quite a few tutorials on the vaseline method, and the one that got me spurred to DO IT, was at 
Ok, I know you want to get to the juicy stuff, so here is the tutorial on the Shabby piece de' resistance!
I've also put the photos at the end of this post of all the other stages, so you can see that it's OK,
FINE, DANDY, COOL, No-BIGGIE to change and re-change your mind until you get that
"That's it!", feeling!
It's only paint, right!
Step #! - disassembled/sanded
Step #2 - paint edges/distressed spots

#1 - took the table apart this time & lightly
sanded all the pieces


#2 - Spray painted the edges black (color to show through the distressing) - This is where I knew I was going to sand down to let the black show through the top coat.
#3 - Once the black paint was dry, then I started wiping petroleum (vaseline) jelly along the edges, some thin, some globed, and even some smears along the center. Be CAREFUL - this is where the top coat will NOT adhere, so you can go a little crazy and end up with too much distressing - just a matter of personal taste.


Tip: I also tried using a Q-tip, small paint brush, and tooth pick to apply the jelly on some areas, so there was a variety of distressed size/shape.

#4 Painted everything my top color (white) I did this with a brush - just didn't put alot of pressure while brushing, and it didn't effect the jelly at all. (I was afraid it might smear it, but it didn't).  I painted 2 coats, letting it dry in between.



FUN #5 - Fun part! Took a medium (150 grit) sanding sponge and started sanding!  It was actually fun to watch the paint over the vaseline just fall right off!  
#6 applied a coat of Minwax furniture wax - (for light wood)

and Viola'!


I usually don't care for a lot of distressing, but I LOVE this little table and am starting to distress more,
and more - and not stressing over it!
Enjoy, and go for it!
It's only paint!

Theresa



Thought it would be interesting to show you the stages this little table went through. . .



Featured here:


Power of Paint

Showing this off here:
I have many more to put on here - and just might have to do it with text links - so appreciative of your support, and don't want to forget anyone!!
Savvy Southern Style  - Domestically Speaking- My Repurposed Life  - I Heart Nap Time  -Funky Junk Interiors  -Simply Designing - Our delightful home  - My Simple Home Life - 

The Shabby Nest


 

Savvy Southern Style
Stone Gable
Making the world cuter
The dedicated house
French Country Cottage
Timewashed
Happy Go Lucky




45 comments:

  1. I love how you had so many different ideas for just one little table. The end result is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me a few times to decide which way I wanted the table for now. Goes to show that it's easy enough to change anytime!

      Delete
  2. Really sweet table. Prep work is so important, and yours paid off. Love the finish!!! Following your blog and shared a like to you on Facebook:) I posted crafty clothes pin to the craft-o-maniac monday party. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com and share a Facebook page like:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am gonna make sure I am following you too!

      Delete
  3. Cool. Great banner on your blog too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were really patient to go through all the painting ideas, but your heavily distressed version I think is maybe my favorite! I think it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Thank you!! I am not usually into heavy distressed, but this works for me! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to try this! Your table looks great. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and the kind compliments!! It's super easy to do, so go for it!!

      Delete
  6. I still need to try the Vaseline trick. I'm featuring your paint project in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super easy and really fun!! THANK you so much!! I will put a button up!

      Delete
  7. Thank you all! I've tried to go back and make sure I have you linked to this post - as I appreciate ALL your support!! Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your little table. It turned out great! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This project turned out so cute! I saw you over at Our Delightful Home link party and I am your latest follower. I hope you come over and check out my blog too! www.mendezmanor.com

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! I will check your blog out!! Great having you!!

      Delete
  10. Great little table re-do. Love it. I also did a vaseline treatment not long ago on a chalkboard piece. Found you thru Debbiedoos and a new follower too.
    Susan @ Rustic ReDiscovered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!! It is a fun technique isn't it?! Welcome to following and I hope I can keep inspiring!

      Delete
  11. Your table turned out great! I love your blog. Your newest follower from the Newbie Party! :) Happy New Year!!

    Kathy @ www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Great to have you following too!! Happy New Year and I will stop by your site too!

      Delete
  12. You've done a wonderful job with that little table, it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so lovely:)


    Hopping by and following your lovely blog's GFC and Pinterest. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    I am also inviting you to join Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe's first giveaway event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table has made a lovely transformation! Found you via Debbie's "Newbie" party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to keep at it until you loved it! I would love for you to come link up at my new weekly linky party Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. I'm working with a couple of bigger bloggers to feature great projects, so I'm hoping to bring fabulous exposure for participants! http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-1.html

    Jenn - A Jennuine Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn - I'm a little late getting back, but I will check out your linky party and of course, follow you!! I appreciate your sharing too!

      Delete
  16. Great job on the table! I love the distressing and that you got it at Goodwill makes it even better! Thanks for stopping by and following my blog.I had to come by and see and follow you too! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you so muhc! This is so wonderful to find such great bloggers!

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad you kept on working on this little gem. She's perfectly chippy now!
    I've used the vaseline technique before, it is amazing!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. That little table has been through several updates. I love the way you have it now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yup, couldn't make up my mind!! HAHA!!

      Delete
  19. The way you have it now is the best! It looks great.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for teaching me your technique. I have never heard of the vaseline method. I am going to try it on my next piece of furniture.
    .
    Your piece is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You are very welcome, and it's super easy!! I would love to see your finished product!

      Delete
  21. I saw this table picture shared from my repurposed life...I had to come see what you did because i have this exact table right now in my living room and i've grown tired of it the way it is. Might need to give mine a new life like you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! Thanks for coming by and I would love to see yours when you do it! Remember, you can always repaint it!! You can do it!!

      Delete
  22. Hi Theresa, thank you for the beautiful transformation of your Cabinet! It's gorgeous! Greetings from Italy. Paola from http://ilpaeseincantato.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover