Monday

NO Sew Lamp shade recover tutorial

TAPERED LAMP SHADE recover

I found several tutorials on how to cover a symmetrical drum
but none to cover one that is a tapered with
 NO sewing!

So, with some trial and error, here is one for the books!
Lots of photos!

Materials needed, aside from your fabric & trims:

ES6000 Glue ( I used my hot glue gun towards the end for the trim, but because I was impatient, the ES6000 will hold up better over time)
About 2 dozen clothes pins
Scissors

Here's the basic idea - 

I decided that cutting and sewing each panel together, was too tedious, and honestly, I wanted to cater to those who don't sew, nor had access to a machine. 
I recovered these shades at my clients house,
so my method was fairly simple and turned out GREAT!

Synopsis of Tutorial

I cut panels larger than the needed size,
 glued them on, one by one, using clothes pins to hold in place,
 clipped  & trimmed, the long side edges of each panel to allow for a smooth curved fit,
 glued all along the frame, tucking excess over top and bottom of each panel.


Then used my fabric to make bias tape to cover the seams - again, just cut strips, folded with raw edges meeting in center, ironed, and glued on. (I'll post this tutorial later)
Added trim and beading and Viola'!


HERE GOES - YOU GOT THIS!!!


Remove your old covering
OR
If your original shade is not bulky or wont' show through the new one,
 you can cover over it.
Mine was bulky pleather!
YUCK!

    Went down to the bare bones on one lamp,
left the outer the other.
BOTH lamps I left the INNER lining in place.

TIP:
These strips you see here?
They were used to cover all the raw edges at the top and bottom inside the shade.
I salvaged them and reused them.   


START the covering:
I literally just cut some strips and then
used a pencil to kinda trace right on top of the lamp.
I made sure I had at least 1/4" to 1/2" excess all around.


ASSEMBLY:

Top
Started with one panel, glued the tops first.
Run a line of glue across the top of the panel

Position fabric in place,
making sure and fold some excess into the inside of shade,
 to hide raw edges.
Smooth and press with fingers in place.
(later I used the old trim (bias tape) glued inside to cover the raw edges)
Hold in place with clothes pins until dry.

Do this for each panel, alternating every other one, 
then come back and do remaining panels.
(this helps having space to clip and hold the sides until dry)





Side edges:
 Once top is dry,
 run a line of glue along the sides of the panel on the lamp shade itself,
press and smooth the fabric along the sides
hold in place until dry.

NOTE:
When I went down to the wire frame on one of my lamps,
I was able to use the clothespins to hold the side edges,
If not, just have to sit for a bit and let the glue do it's magic!


Bottom edge: 
Run a line of glue along the bottom of the panel,
 press fabric in place,
 turning raw edges inside,
and secure with clothes pins until dry.




ONCE DRY:
 Carefully trim the edges of the sides very close.
These will need to be covered with either bias tape or strips made out of the same fabric.

To follow: I made mine using strips of fabric, folded, ironed and glued on.
(I'll post this soon)
Added trim and beading 

 Extras
When I took off the original fabric, I found this . . . I was able to fix it with the same technique as above - stretch, glue, secure with clothes pins.

On one of the shades, I ended up taking this layer off and leaving the inside lining only.


Repainted the bases from
bronze to
Rustoleum Antiqued Hammered Pewter
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!